[BC] RF absorption by foliage

Tom Bosscher tom
Sun Oct 30 16:53:17 CST 2005

 >Wonder if with IBOC the FCC is going to make DA's broadband
 >their arrays to keep all the IBOC trash to the same pattern as the
 >main channel? Be fun to measure that!!

 >Looey Munn

    Looey, that question has been asked a lot. By law, does an AM IBOC
stations have to comply with the NRSC mask, at ALL azimuths? Since the
Ibiquity system is based on slight of hand of a sideways, but legal
reading of the rules, Ibiquity's AM IBOC should have to live by those
rules.

    I've asked before, and it will be 3 weeks before I have time to do
it myself, but has anyone measured NRSC compliance of a DA Ibiquity AM
array, "around the horn"? Is the only place NRSC measurements are
allowed is the TX common point? Funny, the FCC measures AM NRSC
compliance away from the towers.

    I have personally talked to one am engineer who has made the
measurements. He will not release the pictures of the AM station he
checked on, as they are his client, but he did admit that this DA came
no where close to being compliant at several points of azimuth.

    I am not anti Ibiquity AM IBOC. I am fully interested in the rules
being applied fairly and uniformally.

    Any "Pro" DA AM IBOC stations that would like to step forward and
offer their arrays to be analyzed and results published? Or maybe you
have and you pass?

    My guess is that a simple and properly designed two tower DA should
be OK. After that, I would not put my money on the investment risk.

       tom bosscher