[BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Sun Oct 30 07:04:38 CST 2005

Bob,
thanks so much for getting those links together and sending them out.  i
very much enjoyed looking at them, and now i think i must have seen another
radio station, but thought it was WABC.    the mics used then look
interesting, some kind of dynamic i guess but i don't know what.  shure?
there's a guy wearing a tan sports jacket in the 1964 photos sitting
alongside the d.j. and engineer but who doesn't seem to be identified unless
i missed it.   maybe he was a guest on the show.

thanks again,

rob atkinson
st. charles IL

From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:14:40 -0400

As far as I know WABC as a Top 40 station always worked with the announcer
and engineer in the same room facing each other. The time I first visited,
they were still in old radio theater studios where the old drams were
produced. They had two desks facing each other in a room that was nearly the
size of a TV studio and nearly 2 floor high. There was actually a 'real'
control room that over looked the space and dated back to the time of those
dramas.

Here are some links to some of the various configurations they had over the
years.

http://www.musicradio77.com/oldstudio.html

http://www.musicradio77.com/gates.html

http://www.musicradio77.com/avirtual.html