[BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Fri Oct 28 11:54:27 CDT 2005

thanks Dave; very interesting.  I dimly recall seeing somewhere, b&w
newsreel type footage of a dj at WABC doing his patter while another guy on
a swivel stool pulled carts from a surround rack and put them in machines.
They were both wearing suits with skinny ties and had hair that had been
combed with bryl cream so it must have been early 60s.

rob atkinson

From: DHultsman5 at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:57:24 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/2005 11:02:39 AM Central Standard Time,
richwood at pobox.com writes:

------  At 09:34 AM 10/25/2005, Rob Atkinson wrote: -------

 >I recall CFL  had a bit of reverb on their mics.  I once was told
 >that they  upped the speed on their turntables a wee bit.   maybe all
 >that was common practice.

if you a speaking of WCFL.  In their days as a rocker all music was on
cartridge.  The carts may have been recorded on +3% turntables.

Some older folks can explain the music playing from turntables in Chicago
and the old AFM rules.  Cartridge machines allowed the elimination of a
seperate union AFM guy from cueing and playing all the records.

At an NAB in Chicago,  I visited WLS and it took three people to run a
show,
  the engineer in the control room, the real "Disc Jockey" was and AFM  guy
running two turntables in the studio with the announcer,  and the
announcer.
This was back in the dark ages.  I think only Chicago and  NY were still
under
this type of contract.

Dave

http://www.radiolists.net/