[BC] Gates Yard etc etc /was/ Gates Yard schematic or manual

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Oct 27 16:23:35 CDT 2005

On 27 Oct 2005 at 8:28, DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote:

> Phil:
>
> I recall that at one time the power supply, relay chassis and monitor amp
> were all modular and were mounted on a plug-in shelf.  Is that  correct?
>
> If so I guess the one I had was all one chassis.  The monitor amp used  the
> 6BQ5 tubes, driven by a 12AU7 phase inverter.  The 6BQ5's ran very hot  and i
> recall some regular problems with the monitor amplifier.  We had to  be able to
> operate with an auxiliary monitor amplifier on occassions while I  repair the
> 6BQ5 circuit board.
>
> The relays made very little noise when the dropped out and muted the
> speakers on the Dualax console.
>
> On the tube type stereo yard the two power supply/monitor amplifier amps I
> recall having essentially a spare DC supply for the console but having similiar
>  problems with the left and right monitor amplifiers even though they had
> changed  the tube from 6BQ5's to something else.
>
> I finally installed a McIntosh  MC-230 stereo 30 Watt monitor  amplifier and
> solved the amplifier problem.

Dave,

Things do get fuzzy as time goes by. I'm not sure about the mon. amp. now
that you mention it. It may have been 6BQ5's but the thing was only 10 W,
and normally, that is a pair of 6AQ5's in push pull. That was also the
output stage in the Sta-Level, and I may have it confused with that. I know
I built quite a few amps using the 12AU7/P-P 6AQ5 circuitry and still recall
the parts values. (Ah the useless trivia we accumulate, huh?)

As I recall the PS/Mon/Mute chassis, it was a single piece, not modular,
with a circuit board in a cutout on the back pan. The relays were the
mini-telco type, CP Clare, I think. These were mounted to cutouts on the
back pan so the tabs stuck though to the inside and wired with that white
numbered wire Quincy was so fond of for several years.

I had several (well a bunch) of these boards in various stations back in
the 60's, but never did have too many problems with them except for making
FM noise at -60 on proofs before the EF86 version came out. Of course the
Gatesway II monitor amp debacle became my problem when I went to Quincy
so I guess it all evens out in the end. <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037