[BC] Auto-recorder which creates MP3

Fred Gleason fredg
Wed Oct 26 16:52:40 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 16:36, Mike McCarthy wrote:
I know of several multi-line
modems which are normally used for fax banks that will do what I need
on the phone line side and will interface to a computer.  Each line is
a COM port.

You might want to check out Asterisk for this:

	http://www.asterisk.org/

I've played with it a little bit.  It includes integrated VM, and you can get
to the resulting audio files directly (either in WAV or GSM format, or IIRC
even in MP3 if you've got the correct codec (LAME) installed).  If the VM
interface towards the caller is acceptable, then this may be the ticket.
PSTN interface cards are available from Digium ranging from a single POTS
connection to 4 PRI/TI circuits (96 channels total) per PCI card.

> Then there is the all in one box which will do this in a non-Windows
> environment and has IP connectivity which can be access through our
> production computer.

A Rivendell system could do this, using a Linux box with an ASI5042 and GPI
card and eight couplers.  The couplers would generate a closure to signal
'off-hook', and the recorders would roll accordingly.  It'd be a lot of
hardware and wiring and setup though.  My sense is that the Asterisk approach
would be cleaner, and probably cheaper as well.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|    Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have.     |
|                                            -- Harry Emerson Fosdick     |