[BC] Electrical Code

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Tue Oct 25 14:19:34 CDT 2005

On 25 Oct 2005 at 1:05, Dave Karr wrote:

> While logical, assuming the above would be located external to the served
> equipment...that wouldn't pass an inspection here...

Perhaps I'm out of date, but I recall it being legal at one time if the
small box's leads were short.

> The feeder branch created by the first three-phase fusible disconnect and
> the subsequent 'feeder tap' by the single phase fusible disconnect cannot
> simultaneously supply the three phase load directly without the addition of
> a second fusible disconnect for the three-phase load.
>
> In other words, a "branch feeder" (conductors that supply power to
> equipment) cannot simultaneously be used as a "feeder tap" (conductors that
> supply power to other fusible disconnects).

Sounds to me like an unsafe scheme to sell another disconnect switch, however,
that being the case, why not include a contactor following the single phase
disconnect and power it from a transformer across two of the three phases?

> Tap conductors are allowed to be sized smaller according to the downstream
> fusible disconnect's rating as long as the distance between the tap and
> disconnect fall inside guidelines.
>

> This code issue could be circumvented if the fusible disconnect for the low
> current single phase load were made part of the equipment itself.  Perhaps
> a small Eaton-Heinemann/Airpax/ABB/etc. panel or DIN rail mount breaker
> could do the trick.

IIRC, that is essentially what Harris did in the MX-5

The sensible thing to do is put a breaker in the Tx and feed a CV xfmr with
one phase of the 3 phase to drop to 120 the same as might be done with a
large motor starter.

Then there is only a single disconnect for the "appliance" a/k/a Tx and
anything done inside it is, in most cases, exempt, isn't it?

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037