[BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Oct 24 14:42:23 CDT 2005

------ At 02:47 PM 10/24/2005, Robert Meuser wrote: -------

>WCFL WLS WABC KLIF WFIL KHJ were all like that and that is just a
>very small list. Many other stations were that way. KRLA may well be
>an exception. As I recall they were under some kind of trustee
>around that time. They lost their license over a fraudulent contest
>but was kept on the air until some additional details were resloved.
>As I recall the whole thing took decades.  Someone who was there
>might want to clarify this a bit.

WCFL was like that until the Chicago Federation of Labor got tired of
it. Under Lew Witz as General Manager they changed to Easy Listening.
TM Programming was hired to program it. I was the programmer, doing
it from Dallas, with a special blend of music. Larry Lujack still had
time on his contract so he did Easy Listening for a while. On his
last Rock show he did a bit about opening an envelope to tell his
Rock audience which Chicago station he was going to endorse. Of
course, he endorsed WCFL. Until the end of his contract he was
probably the highest paid time and temperature jock in the industry.
The "real" Mayor Daly presided over a format change that had been
separated by a long period of ocean surf. Daly flipped a phony switch
and WCFL became Easy Listening. We beat the Rock numbers in a single
book. I have a tape of it, somewhere. The last song was, I think, a
customized version of "The Day the Music Died" with WCFL calls
included in the resing.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia