[BC] Early formats on FM

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Mon Oct 24 12:44:19 CDT 2005

very interesting Rich, thanks.

rob atkinson
st. charles IL

From: Rich Wood <richwood at pobox.com>
Subject: RE: [BC] Early formats on FM
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:05:35 -0400

------ At 04:08 PM 10/23/2005, Rob Atkinson wrote: -------

>I was told years ago that WFMT used to be WGN FM.   never found out if that
>was true or not, but your story about tribune once owning it makes it
>plausable.   I bet Tribune has regretted the decision to donate it.

It was a strange situation. WGN got possession of WFMT and didn't want it. I
don't remember the circumstances. After all WGN had been dominant for
centuries and FM was not worth the effort. It was better to donate it to
WTTW and get the tax benefits. WPIX-FM was also owned by Tribune. When I
worked there I asked someone at corporate why it was done. He responded by
rolling his eyes as though some dumb jerk should have been fired for doing
it. That was many years later after FM became dominant. 20-20 hindsight.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084