[BC] Decluttering AM (was: Listening t ests... how

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Oct 24 07:14:10 CDT 2005

On 24 Oct 2005 at 2:24, R J Carpenter wrote:

> I keep reading various suggestions / implications (ie: re: Class C
> AMs) that an across-the-board power reduction would decrease cochannel
> interference.

Think skywave, Bob.

At one time all Class C's (Then Class IV's) were 250 W unl. and were
sited with that in mind. They got 1 kW day/250 nite in the '50's to
overcome increasing powerline noise, and later political pressure
was brought to bear to increase them to 1 kW unl. IMHO, BOTH increases
were a bad idea. They were based on the idea that you state, but it
didn't quite work out that way because the original allocations met
established overlap requirements but the 1 kW signals did not. If you
got rid of the power line interference by burying it and took all of
them back to 250 W unl. everyone would be cleaner.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037