[BC] Decluttering AM (was: Listening t ests... how

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Mon Oct 24 01:24:47 CDT 2005

I keep reading various suggestions / implications (ie: re: Class C
AMs) that an across-the-board power reduction would decrease cochannel
interference.

I can't understand how that can be true since cochannel interference
is a linear process. Two 1 mV signals will interfere as much as two 2
mV signals.

Likewise I don't understand how the nightime reduction to 1 kW is
supposed to limit interference on the expanded band.  The signal
ratios aren't changed by the power reduction.  The only interference
benefit I could imagine would be if the power reduction were required
during critical hours - but it isn't (is it?).   Stations on 1600
shouldn't complain since there are no US stations on 1610 except TIS.

bob c.