[BC] A new digital band

Scott Fybush scott
Sun Oct 23 15:56:23 CDT 2005

At 04:29 PM 10/23/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>------ At 11:42 AM 10/23/2005, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------
>
>>         This raises an interesting question:
>>         How does IBOC do in the ducting zones?
>
>Good question but I've only encountered one regular ducting situation -
>Florida to Massachusetts years ago with TV. I would often receive Florida
>stations with reasonably good quality in Cambridge, MA. The interference
>was in the video, not audio. I've personally never encountered it anywhere
>else. I didn't find it in FM probably because I had highly directional
>antennas on rotors pointed West rather than South.

My friends in the TV/FM DXing community would beg to differ.

E-skip is a common phenomenon in the summer months not only in coastal
areas but across most of the east and midwest. Pick a typical June or July
afternoon, and it's more likely than not that I can sit in front of my TV
here in Rochester and be watching channel 2 from Miami or 3 from Shreveport
or Lexington, Nebraska, just to name a few typical targets. The incoming
skip signals (typically from 1100-1500 miles away) regularly override the
signals - video and audio - I normally see on those channels from Buffalo
and Syracuse, 70-80 miles away.

E-skip is limited both in duration (it's usually a May-July phenomenon) and
in frequency (usually limited to low-band VHF, with occasional incursions
into FM and even more rarely into 2-meter territory).

Tropospheric ducting is another thing entirely. It's generally far shorter
in distance (200-500 miles) and largely confined to coastal paths, but it's
less seasonal and far less confined to a small band of frequencies. When
WCVB-DT in Boston first fired up on channel 20, summertime ducting along
the coast to New Jersey wreaked havoc on a public-safety operation down
there that used the same frequencies. Such ducting openings can, in the
worst cases (or, as the DXers would have it, the best cases), last for days
on end, affecting everything from low-band V all the way up the dial to the
top of the UHF spectrum. It's not at all uncommon for folks in Long Island
to be hearing most of the Norfolk, Virginia FM dial - and vice versa - on a
warm late-summer day. It's reasonable to think that such propagation could
cut into the fringes of local IBOC reception.