[BC] Channel 5 and Channel 6

Robert Meuser Robertm
Sun Oct 23 15:23:54 CDT 2005

Peter:

At one time channels 2 through 6 were not part of the DTV transition.
Some low band broadcasters in what retrospectively is a mistake
complained and had it added. It appears, though, that many of those
temporary allocations are going away with the final transition. Most
Major Market Stations Have opted for their UHF DTV channel. Such is the
case with channels 4 and 5 in NYC, both dropping the low band
allocation. At this time there are only 4 stations in the country opting
for channel 4 as a permanent DTV frequency. I also see a number of
channel 5 and 6 stations using the adjacent channel for DTV and planning
to revert to the NTSC channel as the final DTV allocation.

There is also the problem the the low band channels will require a
significant power boost to sucessfully over ride noise and interference
at those frequencies.

I have not fully studied this, but it appears that smaller market
stations have put up DTV under an STA, with much lower power than will
ultimately required. They then opted for their VHF allocation for
permanent DTV operation. Obviously this is much less expensive in the
end. High band is a different story where I see a number of stations
moving digital to their high band DTV allocation.

Keep in mind that the current FCC table is not complete. You can search
out any number of major market stations not yet included in the final
channel election.