[BC] A new digital band

Robert Meuser Robertm
Sun Oct 23 11:11:31 CDT 2005

Barry Mishkind wrote:

> At 07:40 AM 10/23/2005, Phil Alexander wrote
>

>> > Channel 5 is now being used for HD and the local Channel 6 here has
>> stated
>> > they may go back to Channel 6 HD.   Channel six would be ideal for
>> HD  Radio
>> > since it is adjacent to the low end of the FM band.
>> >

>> 3. Channels 6 and especially 5 would be prone to more tropo
>>    ducting and other propagation anomalies than plague us already.
>

>         This raises an interesting question:
>         How does IBOC do in the ducting zones?

I would think about the same as FM now if you look at the D/U numbers.

>> and if technical issues are not enough
>>
>> 4. What is proposed would reopen the "we can't upset the vested
>>    status quo" issue that brought us IBOC all over again, and
>>    those with the money would buy the same decision, or in this
>>    case, prevent reopening it.  The idea is a clear non-starter.
>

>         While most engineers hate that thought,
>         as they see good "solutions" ... the reality
>         is that the regulators and the politicians
>         behind them have no reason to "reopen"
>         anything. They certainly have had no
>         compelling pressure from any
>         organized group.

In today's world this comes under the category of whining.  The fact is
that the lower VHF channels are not very useful for most advanced
systems. It does serve a purpose for things like broadcasting. If
someone with the cash came along and bought some of those channels, they
could deploy any system they choose, politics be damned.
Dont think this is not already under consideration in a number of quarters.