[BC] A new digital band

Barry Mishkind barry
Sun Oct 23 10:42:59 CDT 2005

At 07:40 AM 10/23/2005, Phil Alexander wrote

> > Channel 5 is now being used for HD and the local Channel 6 here
> has stated
> > they may go back to Channel 6 HD.   Channel six would be ideal
> for HD  Radio
> > since it is adjacent to the low end of the FM band.
> >

>3. Channels 6 and especially 5 would be prone to more tropo
>    ducting and other propagation anomalies than plague us already.

         This raises an interesting question:
         How does IBOC do in the ducting zones?

>and if technical issues are not enough
>
>4. What is proposed would reopen the "we can't upset the vested
>    status quo" issue that brought us IBOC all over again, and
>    those with the money would buy the same decision, or in this
>    case, prevent reopening it.  The idea is a clear non-starter.

         While most engineers hate that thought,
         as they see good "solutions" ... the reality
         is that the regulators and the politicians
         behind them have no reason to "reopen"
         anything. They certainly have had no
         compelling pressure from any
         organized group.