[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Orban rorban
Sun Oct 23 09:53:05 CDT 2005

At 09:01 PM 10/22/2005, you wrote:
>From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!
>
>Many station's early programs were top 40 and country (often simulcasts
>of AM) and people listened often because the AM was a daytimer and the
>FM extended hours. I had a portable that I hung an outside wire antenna
>on it so I could listen to an FM station  in the car. In major markets
>many stations just sat and simulcast just the keep the channel warm.
>WABC AM and FM was but one example of this. It was when simulcast was
>not longer permitted and the underground/progressive programming hit the
>air waves that interest in FM and FM stereo started to grow. I dont
>think there ever was a time that  Classical or Jazz programming ever
>drove the market.

My recollection is that Beautiful Music was the format that actually drove
FM expansion in  the late '60s. Beautiful was either the #1 FM or close to
it in most markets back then. It was also cheap to do; no expensive
personalities :-). It was also easily automated.

Bob Orban

(whose first job in broadcasting was at WPAT in 1968)