[BC] Public Service Communications

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sat Oct 22 19:34:10 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/21/05 1:42:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
looey323 at yahoo.com writes:

.
Harold Hallikainen <harold at hallikainen.com>  wrote:

> Its not the lack of spectrum, it's the lack of a unified  coordination.
>
> In a disaster Public Safety people show up from  all over the place to
> help
> but their radios are not programmed  to operate on the allocated
> interoperability channels. >
>  The other issue in public safety is interference, the FCC did a lousy  job
> or allocating frequencies in the 800 Mhz band and we now have  severe
> interference between Nextel, Public Safety and Cell  phones.

*******************

I am really pi**ed off after hearing senator McCain and that other senator
bad mouthing TV stations not wanting to give up channel 50-60 as the reason
they  did not have interoperatable radios as recommended after 911.

TV stations and the NAB have nothing to do with it,   The main  reason we
don't have interoperatable public radio systems is local police,  sheriff, state
troopers and fire departments want their own channels and don;'t  want to
share anything.  They all have their fifdoms and between them and  APCO they get
what they want.  And you and I pay for it.

By now the technology for a walkie-talkie  (trademarked   Lafayette Radio)
should be like our cellular phones.  All the  frequencies in memory.  This can
be activated by programming or  downloaded.   Any walkie talkie could operate
within a range of bands,  trunking or otherwise.

Agreed that ham radio provides a fine service but tax payer pay both  locally
and nationally for public safety communications systems to the tune of
millions of dollars.

The feds after the 911 report should have tagged all grants would only be
made for the system capable of inter-operatablity.

FEMA should be able to move into a market and their radio should be able to
operate on local public service frequencies and likewise public service to
talk  to FEMA radios.  Look at the loss of lives in 911 attributed to the fact
that fire and police could not talk to each other.

Dave