[BC] Electrical Code

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Sat Oct 22 11:02:22 CDT 2005

>What do you consider to be 'new', Peter?

I was speaking as a former EE in the planning division of this nation's
largest municipal utility.

Certainly, practices differ between providers, and there were few
high-powered broadcast sites within our service boundaries (Los Angeles
City, and a few related outposts) ... only three 50 kW AMs were sited
within L.A. proper (710, 1540 and 1580); the rest were in Southern
California Edison territory (640 and 1070). And, all TVs and most FMs
were also in SCE territory.

We would drop as many 1,000 KVA (1 MW) mini-distribution stations off of
our 34,500 volt subtransmission system as a customer required, and at the
time I worked for the Department our total system demand was about 3,200
MW, although that was 30 years ago, and the demand is likely doubled,
now. Most such distribution stations were about 333 kVA (1/3 MW), maximum.

(The three 50 kW AMs I mentioned were dropped off of our 4,800 volt
system, using pole-mounted transformers).

Nevertheless, the type of services I spoke of are relatively consistent
between utilities, and it makes little difference whether you're running
a CE 316 at a city site or two dozen TVs at a mountain site ... there is
a primary, often 4,800 to 34,500 (distribution or subtransmission), and a
secondary (service), and a service could be anything the customer
requested, from a simple 100 A panelboard to 1,500 KVA (1.5 MW)
metal-clad switchgear, or more.

Incidentally, the NEC, itself, rarely applies to utilities or their
services. The NEC is applicable mainly to the customer side of the
service, and most particularly to the customer side of the meter.