[BC] Listening t ests... how valid?

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sat Oct 22 10:37:09 CDT 2005

How?

By moving about a dozen DTV TV stations off TV channels 5 and 6 and
re-allocating that spectrum to FM.

I find it impossible to believe that there's no other channels to put them
on...

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Phil Alexander" <dynotherm at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] Listening t ests... how valid?

On 22 Oct 2005 at 2:45, dcpowerandlight at hotmail.com wrote:

> Let consumers compare typical levels of analog noise to the BER
> dropout and/or blends back to the noisy signal that caused the BER
> dropout, and not some sterile imaginary-world lab example of how
> things would be if each radio set had a shielded coax connection to a
> pure signal source, and I suspect the IBUZ train would never leave
> the station...

Don't overlook one point. From the beginning, the hybrid IBOC system
was intended as a temporary interim system to get DIGITAL sets into
the market and allow reuse of the same bands for pure digital
broadcasting. In the more recent NRSC documents, it appears this
underlying intent has not changed. It appears that pure digital will
provide superior service compared with analog at an average power
level 3 to 6 dB less than analog using DRM tests in Europe as a basis.
The only reason for transmitting a low level digital signal in the
IBOC system is interference with analog. The quicker that is gone,
the quicker we can have a real digital broadcast transmission system.

I don't like IBOC, but given the realities, how else can we get to
full digital operation?

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037