[BC] So who am I?

Stanley Adams stanleybadams
Sat Oct 22 06:52:39 CDT 2005

As the beer salesman asks while taking over the mantle of the worlds largest
association of broadcast owners and operators.  And so you tell me that he
is no good, or may be no good.  And this is different?

Not long ago on this very channel I had to read all the junk going back and
forth about what a 'real engineer' is and the days when 'real stations' with
'real engineers' were a neat thing (and they really were).  Nevertheless, so
what is different? You know, if broadcast engineering was able to survive
the demotion of the first phone and other license requirements, deregulation
(read no regulation except for EOC and public files and EBS --- I mean give
me a break; close spacing on stations and the over all blind eyed and
foolish rule making FCC, it maybe will now.  The big question is if the
industry as a whole will make it.  That is what I think.

NAB is like the FCC to me.  You ignore them until you need them.  I think
that I know what to do to open up any little radio box in any small town and
'spin the hits', do a few local sports events, air some syndicated person of
prominence.  I even know how to type a log, oh wait, they don't do that now,
keep a transmitter on the air, sell a little time and unstop toilets.

So tell me who are the NAB and the FCC?  And my life is changed?

Pessimistic mode is still on.

Stanley Adams
Memphis