[BC] Subsidy For Digital TV?

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Oct 21 15:39:35 CDT 2005

------ At 02:24 PM 10/21/2005, Robert Meuser wrote: -------

>why a windfall for cable????? Cable is already delivering a down
>convert for no extra cost. In short time all the set top boxes will
>be HD. In NYC, a second hoook up is only $6.95. Off air converters
>will cost under $99 and they will make a drastic improvement.
>
>I just did an experiment with off air reception with indoor rabbit
>ears. I have no direct line of site to any TV transmitters. Analog
>was as expected, ghosty and noisy on 2 4 and 5. Ghosty and slightly
>unstable on channel 7 through 68. In digital, PERFECT - like glass.
>In fact it is better quality than the cable company delivers.

You're fortunate. I use much larger outdoor antennas and can receive
only a few off air signals. The signals are spotty. One day perfect
the next pixellated. They are better quality. The local cable system
sucks and doesn't carry local channels in HD.

>I think these boxes will be hot new items just because they so
>greatly improve the picture on those 3rd and 4 th sets that are not on cable.
>People will wonder why it took so long.

I just wonder how many people who aren't on cable will install
antennas. I started with the unamplified Terk and got one station
whose tower I could see. The rest, nothing. I even bought the big
amplified Terk. Nothing.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia