[BC] Re: It's Eureka over IBOC down under

Paul Christensen attorney
Fri Oct 21 11:37:23 CDT 2005

> The processing wars are the real culprit here.

Amen.  I am still overwhelmed by how good analog FM can sound when
aggressive high frequency limiting and clipping is backed down to reasonable
levels required to maintain simple peak control.  The perceived competitive
market pressures have produced the processors and associated algorithms we
have today.  I can't fault the manufacturers - they're responding to supply
and demand market forces and as such, they're compelled to produce
processors that are inherently very good, but have the capability of
destructive results.  Perhaps if we rid ourselves of the junkies, the
dealers will go away?

I've proably stated this before, but when you remove yourself from the
day-to-day business for a while and you become a listener like everyone
else, the "louder is better" philosophy seems meaningless and infantile.
Today, I cannot tolerate listening to most FM stations, particularly the
stations that employ far too much high end equalization.  Why is it that
every cymbal I hear on the air today has to sound like the consonance
produced when vocalizing the letter "F?"

Given the high dB differential of the 75 us pre-emphasive curve, just how
much high-frequency processing is needed?  The industry's answer is that
it's needed in order to try and re-balance an otherwise dull high-end after
excessively raising the average level of low and mid-band audio.  But,
physics fights back and wins in the end.

Without a 75 us pre-empahsis curve to wrestle with, hopefully HD Radio can
avoid the loudness wars, but it's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802    Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org