[BC] Subsidy For Digital TV?

Paul Christensen attorney
Fri Oct 21 06:12:38 CDT 2005

>I can't believe I heard this right!  On the news this morning
> there was a report that there is a proposal to subsidize the
> purchase of a digital converter for people who have older
> television sets.... Oh boy, now maybe I can get a nice brand-new shiny
> IBOC radio?

According to one proposal, the funding for the subsidy is derived by future
auctioned license fees from the relinquished spectrum.   In other words,
Congress is betting that the future value of spectrum income greatly exceeds
the present value of converter purchases.

What's not immediately clear is just who will qualify for the subsidies?
U.S. citizens below a certain threshold of income? What about Green Card
holders?  illegal aliens? anyone in California as long as they pay U.S.
taxes?   In the case of HD Radio, no spectrum is being turned back in.
Federally-subsided HD Radios for the public may have made more sense under
Eureka 147.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org