[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Oct 20 16:53:56 CDT 2005

On 19 Oct 2005 at 6:52, Barry Mishkind wrote:

> At 06:01 AM 10/19/2005, Phil Alexander wrote
>
> >NO! That's possible, but OTA free is a much better
> >model and just as easily done in EEPROM with the
> >right software logic - no new s/w loaded until
> >confirmed, and with a rollback button on the radio
> >for listener use in a correct CRC/bad load situation.
>
>          Still, the cost of doing it, the liability
>          if *anything* goes wrong, and
>          what about people who don't
>          have the radio on when the
>          upgrades are sent?

Dedicate a small segment of bandwidth and send updates
continuously. Clever software will recognize what it
needs from the stream. Never allow the update to go
live unless it checks CRC and equals a second d/l, then
provide the rollback button for clearing a glitch caused
by local hardware. None of this is rocket science. <g>

OTA, the upgrade hardware is paid for as part of the
set purchase. The only issue in the early years is that
the base must continually expand to keep Ibiquity's
revenue up. After about 10 years the first generation
will lie in the scrap yards and the process repeats.
Not long after that digital increases power and analog
goes away. Then, we have a real system. But I fear the
scenario won't be that rosy because Ibiquity will do
their best to kill the goose with greed.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037