[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Oct 20 09:20:42 CDT 2005

------ At 09:01 AM 10/19/2005, Phil Alexander wrote: -------

>We need a system that can adapt without making radios
>obsolete. The alternative is radio itself will become
>obsolete IMHO. Unless the standards for upgrades are
>embedded in the Rules, radio, as a popular mass
>medium will probably wither and die over the next 20
>or 30 years. Given the present lack of leadership in
>the industry, IMHO it is the most likely outcome.

It's been stated here many times that manufacturers have no interest
in upgradeablity. What you buy is what you'll get until you buy
another one. If the system weren't so flawed I could accept that.
"Never buy version 1.0" applies in this case. If iBorg corrects the
interference problem, will current receivers adapt? What do we think
will happen when BMW owners hear secondary channels being promoted?
They can't receive them. If you've paid $100,000 or so you might be
inclined to feel screwed or that the radio is defective. Angry customer.

Rich