[BC] Subversive technologies to make broadcasting moot.

Harold Hallikainen harold
Thu Oct 20 15:21:20 CDT 2005

Some interesting ideas. I had noticed that Linksys had the source code for
their router on their website and that others had updates to it.

Many of the ideas on spectrum were discussed at a conference I attended at
Stanford. My article on the conference is at
http://www.hallikainen.org/rw/Other/PropertyOrCommons/ .

On mesh networks... Adding clients does indeed increase overall bandwidth,
but I believe the important parameter is bandwidty*distance. I don't think
adding clients increases this parameter.

In my paper 'Spectrum For Sale or Rent'
(http://sujan.hallikainen.org/ijclp/), I mention the idea of "public
parks" of the spectrum. That's what we have now with part 15 devices.

An idea that I first heard at the Stanford conference was the concept of a
"theme park." This is a chunk of privately owned (or leased) spectrum that
the owner (or lease holder) charges others to use. The owner or lease
holder could be a manufacturer of equipment who charges for the use of
that chunk of spectrum in the cost of the equipment, or could be a
manufacturers association that charges a license fee to manufacturers for
use of the spectrum.

So, lots of interesting ideas out there, but I'm not convinced that with
mesh networking, we can reduce the power towards zero and end up with
infinite bandwidth...

Harold

--
http://www.hallikainen.com