[BC] Subversive technologies to make broadcasting moot.

Lamar Owen lowen
Wed Oct 19 09:50:30 CDT 2005

Ha, with a subject line like that, got you to look...

Anyway, please read:
http://www.forbes.com/businesstech/2005/10/18/open-source-software-FCC_cz_df_1018opensource.html?partner=rss
for an interesting take on open source software's potentiality of
overthrowing traditional broadcasting.

My favorite quote:
?We've known forever that licensing newspapers is against the rules, so
why should radio spectrum be any different?? [Eben Moglen, counsel for the
Free Software Foundation] says.

I have a copy of this software, known as GNURadio, referenced in the
article (the article is on the Forbes site; mainstream city).  The
hardware required I also have.... :-) Althought Forbes really misses the
whole point of open source (it's not about not charging money, it's about
freedom to do whatever you want with the software, including
modifications, it does capture the spirit of the open cognitive radio
push.  That is, IP networks over cognitive radio links could in a few to
ten years, completely turn the distribution of content on its head.  And
typical IP codecs sound better than the existing IBOC/IBAC codecs, and
offer an interactive experience broadcasting cannot match.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology