[Bulk] [BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Oct 20 14:03:03 CDT 2005

------ At 09:08 AM 10/19/2005, Michael Bergman wrote: -------

>New features can be rolled out on IBOC without upgrading old radios.
>Surround sound, for example, is an interesting one being discussed right
>now, and by the way, it's not too late to influence new tech like this,
>since it isn't rolled out yet.

I would assume it can't just be overlayed on the audio, since there
aren't any provisions for left and right rear (not mono) and a
discrete center. Most existing receivers have subwoofer outputs.
Gotta buy new radios (legitimately for 5.1). If I believed IBUZ was
ready for prime time I wouldn't have so much of a problem.

Personally, I don't want anything matrixed. I don't want a phantom
center or mono rear. To me 5.1 means 6 discrete channels. We're
already late, since 7.1 is common in home equipment.

Are we too late to weigh in on this, too?

Also, I have 2 NPR FMs with decent signals here. One has some signal
problems where I travel. They're IBUZ. When the signal gets weak I
don't just get empty channel-type noise. I get angry noise every time
the signal drops, even for a second.

For Chuck this is RT10 between Easthampton and Westfield on WAMC.
Obviously in analog mode.

Rich