[BC] NorthEast Weather Problems

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Oct 19 08:40:08 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/19/2005 01:47:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ehrenberg at fastmail.fm writes:

> I just read about WMJC in R&R, how have our friends in the North-East
>  faired?  I spoke to my nephew who is in Elmwood Park, NJ and he told me
>  the "crick" had risen, but nothing major in his area.

Thankfully, we had no problems at WFIF here in Milford, CT. We are on a tidal
marsh (swamp) so heavy rain doesn't bother us. It's the *tides* that cause us
grief. Worst-case scenario is when we get a strong "Nor'Easter" when there is
a high tide. LI Sound is like a big funnel, and when those north-east winds
blow, they "push" the water down that funnel, and raise the tides significantly.

Worst we have ever had in my 18+ year tenure, was 2.5 feet of water inside
the building. When the water first started encroaching an hour before high tide,
I had our announcer tell the listeners we were signing-off due to flooding,
and killed the power to the downstairs. Then, I started pulling equipment out
of the rack, and handing it to him on the stairs... as the water kept rising.
(It peaked at 2.5 feet.)

Since our studio is upstairs, now, the only thing that would take us off the
air, would be if the water became deep enough to touch the tower bases.

Willie...