[BC] How the industry says it

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Oct 20 13:13:04 CDT 2005

------ At 09:49 AM 10/19/2005, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>At 06:01 AM 10/19/2005, Phil Alexander wrote

>>I heard a few spots on radio about a month ago urging listeners
>>to write their congress critters urging them to help "first
>>responders" by moving all TV to the new (and lots of other
>>favorable adjectives) digital HDTV so first responders could
>>use the frequencies.
>
>         Ah .. so they can use their power
>         to lobby for the "first responders"
>         but not for the industry.
>
>         Must be something about competition, right?

Don't forget their plans were to be implemented starting in a few
months. 2006 was the original drop dead date. Now they're being asked
to wait another 3 years. How much do you want to bet the recent FEMA
incompetence will be blamed on not having those frequencies. Someone
here mentioned the lack of interest on the part of cities and
counties to participate even when they have spectrum available.

In New York we actually used to have police and fire almost come to
blows about who had what authority at an emergency scene. Even which
police department. NYPD, Transit, Port Authority, State. Finally NYPD
took in the Transit Police. And, like most cities, the Fire Dept. took EMS.

Rich