[BC] What is left for the industry to do?

Ron Cole rondcole
Wed Oct 19 10:12:06 CDT 2005

Its not the lack of spectrum, it's the lack of a unified coordination.

 In a disaster Public Safety people show up from all over the place to help
but their radios are not programmed to operate on the allocated
interoperability channels. The radios often are not programmed to operate
direct without a proper repeater system.

There are a couple of dozen channels allocated for interoperability but I
have never seen a public service agency program those into there radios. Most
only have the half dozen channels they use in there radios even though the
radios is a 128 channel radio.

So you wind up with people from 27 different agencies on 27 different
channels and the person you need to coordinate with via radio can't talk to
you.

 The other issue in public safety is interference, the FCC did a lousy job
or allocating frequencies in the 800 Mhz band and we now have severe
interference between Nextel, Public Safety and Cell phones. The mess is so
bad the only way to fix it is to move users, Public Safety to 700 Mhz and
Nextel to 1900 Mhz.

 Ron