[BC] HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

Bernie Courtney jerseyspikes
Tue Oct 18 21:27:50 CDT 2005

XM is touted as having "hundred of channels of CD quality music" yet to me
it seems more like hundreds of channels of mp3 quality, but yet their
subscription base still continues to climb, and even I myself have had my
subscription ever since about a year after they went live. I knew this going
in though, I expected digital compression for the trade off of having 3
channels of a format that doesn't really exist in my market. Had I gone out
and dropped a wad of cash expecting to get better audio quality I would have
been pretty angry, but then again I know countless people who swear XM
sounds great.

I think this new young generation a few people area speaking of, those who
grew up with Napster and digital music players have just lowered their
standards for what is acceptable audio quality. Most MP3's that people
outside the professional or DJ arena trade are still encoded at 128K which
still is a far cry from CD quality, yet thousands, maybe tens of thousands
listen to these files daily on their ipods or other playback devices. Many
have just accepted this tradeoff of quality for the time and cost savings of
(illegal) downloading.

This may change some once legitimate music purchases from iTunes (which
encodes their files AAC at either 128 or 192 i believe) increases and people
begin to hear the difference on a regular basis going between file in their
playlists. But overall I know very few people my own age that give a dam
about the quality of the audio they have, just the fact that they HAVE the
song they want to hear, even if it sounds like it was recorded through a tin
can and length of string.

Bern