[BC] HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

WLOYPROD WLOYPROD WLOYPROD
Tue Oct 18 10:09:15 CDT 2005

my question would be Who is running these tests, what are their criteria
for selection of listeners and what are the tracks being used for
comparison AND what do they stand to gain from the 'right' conclusions?
my 'real world' students often point out the differences in sampling
rates on MP3 files, wave files and CDs, and in their own collections
none of them uses less than 128kbps saying "the lower ones sound bad"...
 since these kids are the ones you want to get into HD Radio
(upper/middle class, educated, overloaded with disposable income), folks
better think LONG and hard about this steady destruction of audio
quality.  Bad enough you want 5kHz on AM, but now 48kbps for an on-air
signal?!  Might as well shut off the tower lights and go home.

While I realize no one ever got rich overstimating the public... this
one is a dangerous underestimation of what people will tolerate.

It's kind of like the idea of continuing to refer to iBiquity as "CD
Quality" - one bad idea too many...

John

>>> barry at oldradio.com 10/18/05 10:15 AM >>>
At 05:37 AM 10/18/2005, Neil Glassman wrote
> >From the synopsis of one study, "testing indicates that 48 kbps is
perceived
>by most listeners as providing equal sound quality to the maximum rate
of 96
>kbps. Just as importantly, the testing demonstrates that the optimal
bit
>rate allocation varies according to specific categories of
programming,
>including voice and different genres of music."

         So ... all the discussions and hand wringing
         over those who can hear the artifacts are
         really moot, aren't they?

         192, 128, 96, .... the listeners don't mind 48,
         for the most part.

         Are there any studies that contradict this?