ReRe: [BC] TV Standards

Robert Orban rorban
Tue Oct 18 17:08:20 CDT 2005

At 12:26 PM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>rom: DANA PUOPOLO <dpuopolo at usa.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] TV Standards
>

>Power wise, 8-VSB be a bit more efficent then COFDM, but a COFDM transmitter
>is much easier to align and maintain.

8VSB is 6 dB more efficient in terms of peak power than COFDM. If you are
on a high UHF frequency and are running 1 MW ERP, the same coverage with
COFDM would require a TX with four times the peak power capability. With
high-power plants like this, this is a BIG deal.

OYOH, COFDM makes it easier to run single-frequency networks with lower
power transmitters, which is more in line with the European broadcasting
model. I understand that people are now starting seriously consider 8VSB
SFNs and gap fillers, but this puts even more demand on the receivers.
Since I am on the wrong side of a hill and cannot receive a single one of
the San Francisco UHF DTV stations with a large, amplified outdoor antenna
(even though the Sutro TX site is only about 25 miles from my house), gap
fillers could not come soon enough for me and other people shadowed by terrain.

Bob Orban