"Family Hour" was Re: [BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Alan Kline akline
Tue Oct 18 17:02:43 CDT 2005

No, it's not the same difference at all!  The "Family Hour" was intended to
apply to the first hour of prime time each evening, which would mean the
networks.  They had that hour one way or the other.  The Family Hour had
nothing to do with giving time back to the affiliates.

That was PTAR, which as you say, was the rule intended to stimulate local
programming, but ended up making Merv Griffin a zillionaire.

There's a lot of stuff in prime access these days that wouldn't exactly fit
the "Family Hour" definition.  Most of what's on "Inside Edition" comes to
mind.

Today, I wonder if there would be such a protest by syndicators--only because
there aren't as many as there used to be, and many of those that are left are tied
to the networks (King World/Viacom, NBC-Universal, Buena Vista/ABC/Disney, to
name a few)

ak