[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Michael Bergman mbergman42
Tue Oct 18 16:30:33 CDT 2005

> At 12:00 PM 10/18/2005, Cowboy wrote
>> >So: proposals to deal with the issues above?
>>
>>  EPROM.

>         The major issue I see here is that
>         the majority of radios will not
>         upgrade, even if free - which would
>         depend upon broadcasters paying
>         for it ... ahem...

>         Hence, we would be locked into
>         only those changes that are
>         compatible with today's existing tech.

Yes, in the sense that we're not considering new radio purchases in this.

New features are sold in the market with each new model.  IBOC is very
expandable, with lots of discussion going on now regarding what to do with
that expandability.

If there's a market demand for a new feature, expect it.  When consumers
walk into Best Buy and ask for HD Radio, Best Buy will carry it.  When they
ask for HD Radios with weather channels, traffic channels, surround sound,
etc., Best Buy will carry that too.

What is beginning to emerge is that the consumer demand isn't going to
happen without some compelling content, promoted by broadcasters,
unavailable on analog.

Mike Bergman