[BC] What is left for the industry to do?

Michael Bergman mbergman42
Tue Oct 18 15:19:50 CDT 2005

Hi, Paul,

> Analog radios are NOT boat anchors, unless the FCC puts a drop dead
> date for cessation of analog broadcasting.  We will all be in our
> graves long before analog goes away.  If not, I'll donate $100.00 to
> your favorite charity.  There is no reason to drop analog like
> there is with TV because the spectrum is still being used by radio.

Sorry to be unclear.  I wasn't saying that analog radios are boat anchors.

I was replying to someone's post that said that (paraphrasing) digital
radios that can't be upgraded are boat anchors.  Here it is:

>>There's no wriggle room. With no upgradeability early victims will be
>>stuck with boat anchors.

I replied,

>That would make analog AM/FM radios in new cars today "boat anchors", since
>they cannot be upgraded either.

In other words, I was disagreeing with the whole boat anchor idea for analog
and digital radios.

Mike Bergman