[BC] What is left for the industry to do?

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Tue Oct 18 15:02:28 CDT 2005

Analog radios are NOT boat anchors, unless the FCC puts a drop dead date for
cessation of analog broadcasting.  We will all be in our graves long before
analog goes away.  If not, I'll donate $100.00 to your favorite charity.
There is no reason to drop analog like there is with TV because the spectrum
is still being used by radio.  I have to agree that they should take CH 5
and 6 TV and reallocate that spectrum to FM.  We could put up a lot of
LPFM's there, and AM's could upgrade like they do in Canada.

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Michael Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:09 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] What is left for the industry to do?

>I think it's frustration. Michael of Kenwood has made it clear it's a
>done deal.

I've made it clear that if you want to have a positive impact, get involved
before the technology launches.  Now is the time to look at surround sound
and other nascent developments.  After the rocket launches, it is too late
to argue about the design.

>There's no wriggle room. With no upgradeability early victims will be
>stuck with boat anchors.

That would make analog AM/FM radios in new cars today "boat anchors", since
they cannot be upgraded either.

Car companies ship the best compromise between thoroughly-tested audio
systems and thoroughly-featured audio systems that they can, within the
target price point.

The aftermarket sells new features, hopefully faster than the OEMs can bring
them out; that is what that business is all about.  In few cases do you get
new features for free out of the goodness of someone's heart, unless they
have another way to get at your dollars.

Mike Bergman