[BC] What is left for the industry to do?

Michael Bergman mbergman42
Tue Oct 18 14:08:51 CDT 2005

>I think it's frustration. Michael of Kenwood has made it clear it's a
>done deal.

I've made it clear that if you want to have a positive impact, get involved
before the technology launches.  Now is the time to look at surround sound
and other nascent developments.  After the rocket launches, it is too late
to argue about the design.

>There's no wriggle room. With no upgradeability early victims will be
>stuck with boat anchors.

That would make analog AM/FM radios in new cars today "boat anchors", since
they cannot be upgraded either.

Car companies ship the best compromise between thoroughly-tested audio
systems and thoroughly-featured audio systems that they can, within the
target price point.

The aftermarket sells new features, hopefully faster than the OEMs can bring
them out; that is what that business is all about.  In few cases do you get
new features for free out of the goodness of someone's heart, unless they
have another way to get at your dollars.

Mike Bergman