[BC] Re: What I want from the list...

Cowboy curt
Tue Oct 18 14:49:50 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 04:52 pm, Howell, Matt wrote:
>The list seems to be useless.

 Seems to be ?
 ;-)

>I subscribed with the expectation of gleamig knowledge from some of the
>smarter minds in the business, picking up a neat tip/trick, or helping
>someone solve a problem (or getting someone to help me with one).

 Me too !
 ( oh, sorry )

>Apparently, from the last few weeks, all the posts are bitching about
>one thing, or bitching about someones follow-up post, to which someone
>else will post their follow-up rant. I can get the same thing from any
>idiot chatroom full of teenagers on AOL! <G>

 Yeah, I've been meaning to speak to you about that.....
 :-)

>If the last few weeks are any indication of how things seem to go,
>what's the point?

 For the most part, they're not, but it does run in spurts.

>I don't need to filter through 100 e-mails a day
>looking for one or two that actually had some substanance. And I'm not
>against comments (sick, funny, perverted, partisian, anti-this or that,
>don't care)

 Well, we agree on that.
 ( though I wish I only had 100 / day )

>but the flagrant personal attacks are just not necessary.

 True, but where people are involved, well, boys will be boys.

>I realize you've (Barry) been out of touch lately, but I mean c'mon
>guys, this is supposed to be beneficial to all of us, a place we can
>share thoughts, ideas, and experiences...that IS why we are here, isn't
>it? I'm not here to be told I am an idiot, don't know what I'm doing,
>should find another career, blah blah blah...my girlfriend already does
>that.

 Yeah, well....
 Until the guy who signs my check calls me those things, I couldn't
 care ( much ) less.

 Leave, you both learn and contribute nothing.
 Stay, and you just might discover that some of these clowns
 know a thing or two, and that some of the bozo's are downright
 brilliant !

 Temporary filters work well, too.
 Trash a particular poster for a few days,
 'till he ( or she ) calms down a bit,
 then things get back to "normal."

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured
programming is for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely toilet-
trained.  They wear neckties and carefully line up pencils on otherwise
clear desks.