[BC] Naming Tape Reels (was: Transmitters)

Alan Kline akline
Tue Oct 18 14:23:45 CDT 2005

Years ago, I was working at a UHF in San Francisco that was largely Asian and other
ethnic language programming.  A lot of our commercial clients ran their businesses
in ways that would make your average local public-access channel look like CBS.

Anyway, these clients had a habit of running a spot for awhile, then when the flight
ended, coming in to pick up their master.  Later, when they decided to run the spot
again, they couldn't find the master.

So, we decided to assemble a 1" reel with spots like that, where we had a hunch that
the spot might return.  A database kept track of everything.

The reel was called the "Kenny" reel, after the "South Park" character who's always
being killed and brought back.  (You know, "They killed Kenny!  You b******s!")

The operations cubicle itself was called "South Park"...

ak