[BC] TV Standards

Dan Dickey dldickey
Tue Oct 18 11:56:01 CDT 2005

> At 08:27 AM 10/18/2005, DANA PUOPOLO wrote
>>Look at what the HDTV 'Grand Alliance' did. Because they refused to wait
>>SIX
>>MONTHS, we got saddled with 8 VSB HDTV, which as about a quarter as robust
>>as
>>COFDM, the system the rest of the world adopted.

This is something that is often repeated as a fact when it is more accurate
to say it is an opinion held by many.  There are many studies on both sides
that would indicate one system is better than the other.  But it is fairly
easy to show than if both systems are done "correctly" then a single carrier
will beat a COFDM system.  The reason is that single carrier systems are
more power and spectrally efficient.  The oft mis-stated opinion that OFDM
systems are better in multipath environments over single carrier has been
shown by a few researchers to not be true.

One indication about the merits of single carrier versus multi-carrier
modulation is to look at the mobile telephone industry.  There are no
multi-carrier systems deployed because of the efficiency issues.  However,
there are some multi-carrier broadcast systems deployed mostly due to the
lack of time available to properly characterize and design a single carrier
system.  Single carrier systems are harder to get right than OFDM.

>>Because they couldn't wait, our HDTV system is INTERLACED, instead of
>>being
>>progressive scanned (which would have made it compatible with computer
>>video).

There are over a dozen video formats in the ATSC standard.  Some of them are
progressive HD formats as well as interlaced verions.  The issue isn't with
the standard.  It's with the display technology.  It's still cheaper to make
an interlaced tube display than a progressive display.  It probably always
will be cheaper.

Best regards,
Dan