[BC] Naming Transmitters

SHAFFER, RANDY L RandyShaffer
Tue Oct 18 05:20:04 CDT 2005

Jack wrote -
>When I was at KFYR-TV in Bismarck we had an Ampex ACR-25 2 inch spot player.
>John Loughmiller one of the Ampex field service guys called it FRED which
>stood for Friendly, Reliable, Electronic Device which was true most of the
>time.
>Several years later when we got a second ACR-25 the Master Control operators
>named it ETHEL.

Our 2" machines weren't named, but the consolidation reels were. There was always a short discussion between the operators
to determine the name when a new reel was placed in service. Most names were either cartoon characters (we had a morning kids block which fed this) or sci-fi names, which for the most part, were over my head.

Randy Shaffer
WLYH-TV