[BC] "VSWR" Metering

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Mon Oct 17 11:58:44 CDT 2005

Richard you are correct. (as usual)
I have an Anritsu site master, with it I can sweep the line and find any
problems on it, and I can also match the antenna. You do have to set up
the sweeps quite differently for each task.  When sweeping the line on
commission (and on fault isolation) the line will be terminated with a
precision 50 ohm load. To sweep an FM antenna I'm only going to sweep
between 500 kHz to 1 MHz wide. When sweeping a line that is terminated
into a precision load you want to sweep as wide as possible as this will
show problems more clearly. Once the line is cleared and the antenna is
verified everything is "closed up" and the system sweeps are done. These
system sweeps are what you use to compare your annual sweeps to. If the
system is already closed and you don't want to pay a climber to run up
and tear things apart, you can take system sweeps of your (hopefully)
properly working transmission system and use them for comparison.

My sweeper cost about $7,000, the one Gary uses IIRC is about $90,000,
so his can do quite a bit more than mine. I'd bet if you loosened up one
bolt on a flange he would probably see it. Elliot Klein out of Arizona
uses a similar box to mine to do precision alignments on ERI antennas.
He sweeps, and tells the tower guys where to move each slug, they put it
back in and presto the antenna is perfectly tuned.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885