[BC] "VSWR" Metering

Chris Boone CBoone
Sun Oct 16 17:22:16 CDT 2005

Get a rcvr with a S meter or some signal strength meter....with the system
operating in a good known condition, take readings at various locations..A
spectrum analyzer would be better (a rcvr with AM capability on the FM band,
like a HAM talkie or maybe a wideband scanner type rcvr with AM mode and a S
Meter added, will do...FM rcvrs usually do signal metering after the IF
limiters and thus the meter is not accurate)..that way you get actual signal
levels..

If your meter readings are right but you suspect something is wrong, the
signal strength out in the field would be the tell-all...Efficiency wont
likely show anything different in my opinion.

Just ran across that on a UHF rptr...xmtr showed ZERO reflected (nothing on
a 1watt Bird slug) with normal forward out...but range sucked...sure enough,
antenna had been damaged but the feedline was just right length..