[BC] IBUZ opinion from an outsider

Bob Young youngbob53
Sun Oct 16 11:24:32 CDT 2005

I thought some of you guys might want to hear the opinion of an outsider,
someone who just listens to the radio, I'm a DXer and avid AM listener. I am
still startled every time I do a band scan and hear that terrible noise that
surrounds locals WBZ and WTAG, makes me want to jump out of my chair, what's
wrong with my radio??. The other day my local WKOX 1200 dropped their
daytime to nighttime power at 6 pm, I then switched to WLIB 1190 (yes
Airamerica) and all I could hear for a solid hour was IBUZ from WHAM 1180
and this is not the DXer in me, I like Airamerica and listen a lot. I was
very annoyed that I could not listen to one of my favorite stations because
of this noise. I have read that the industry expects everyone to endure this
noise for 12 more years until all conventional radios become obsolete
doorstops as AM will be all IBUZ at that point, the millions and millions of
radios that have been manufactured for the past 80 years will have all
become obsolete including the Nice Nationals that have been mentioned here
previously. From all the stuff I have read pro and con I believe that IBUZ
if anything will be the end of AM radio as people are not going to buy these
radios unless they are forced to, especially with all the trouble free
alternatives. The noisier the AM band becomes because of IBUZ the more
people are going to turn it off permanently and I have not seen one written
word that convinces me that IBUZ is not an exercise in futility, a waste of
precious time and possible an end to a legitimate medium that has changed
yes but is still alive. At least AM stereo was a good idea and didn't
interfere with adjacent channels and generate a terrible noise, if that
didn't work and catch on why do some of the industry think IBUZ will, is it
because ???DIGITAL!!! is a new buzz word and everyone is going to buy it
because of the cache of the word like some people buy ahem, 1000 watt
boomboxes? Please most of us are not that stupid. Or is it because with the
present atmosphere the FCC will mandate us to accept this noise and have to
buy new receivers? I don't think so, the FCC can mandate us to throw the
millions and millions of AM radios into the ocean but they can't mandate us
to buy new radios and especially can't mandate us to listen, and if the
industry thinks most people will just blindly follow a dictate like that
again I don't think so. Most people listen to and accept AM the way it is
and like it and couldn't care less whether it is ???DIGITAL!!! or not. OK
back to lurk mode, couldn't hold it in any longer,

Bob Young

Message: 4