[Bulk] [BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Oct 15 17:51:00 CDT 2005

------ At 04:52 PM 10/15/2005, Michael Bergman wrote: -------

>Actually, if you were doing SOMETHING other than complain, that would be
>fine.  But you aren't, you're posting here over and over.  I tend to agree
>with Mr. Orban.

Your option is the same as his. Filter me out.

> > Let's get IBUZ working right before we dump other things on top
> > of technology with 3 flat tires.
>
>You can say "Let's", but you're not going to do any heavy lifting, are you?

OK. Suggestions. What should I do about a technology that's a done
deal? A technology where the manufacturer had no interest in
broadcaster input. I'm pretty strong. What should I be lifting other
than a sign that IBUZ is the greatest thing since sliced bread? I'm
open to suggestions.

>You haven't studied it, you don't understand the technical and business
>tradeoffs that people made to get here, and you're not really qualified to
>discuss it.  Real people made real tradeoffs.  I know you hate the result of
>these tradeoffs.  But you did nothing to help, and you're not offering to
>help.  Stop complaining and help build something new--if you think you can
>get the industry consensus for your new technology.  Or just stop
>complaining.

See above. What should I be doing to help? All I need to know about
the technology is what comes out of the radio. If it's better than
what we've got, great. If it isn't, no amount of study is going to
make it sound better. Clearly they made tradeoffs. I have no new
technology, just the existing one that's held up beautifully for 80+
years. Improve on it or go away. Don't give me buzzing, hissing and
interference that's worse than what we've got at night. For FM I'm
skeptical that a sampling rate of 96kbps or less is going to approach
current, well engineer/processed FM. All my MP3 encoding is done at
192 because I can't listen to 128 for very long. I've spent too much
time in recording studios so I have a basic idea what a live
instrument should sound like. I'll stop complaining when I'm
convinced the operation was a success and the patient is still alive.
Based on what I've heard on AM I believe the band will be DOA once
everyone is buzzing at full tilt. You'd make a great Talk Show host.
"My IBUZ. Love it or leave it."

I've made a tremendous living in this industry over a long time. If I
see something/someone attempting to destroy it, get ready for
complaints. Repeated complaints. Endlessly repeated complaints.
There's almost nothing I haven't done in the industry with a great
deal of satisfaction. I've met wonderful people who have their lives
tied up in their stations. I don't want to see them hurt.

>Please.  Don't be naive.  "Those big companies are greedy!"  What a childish
>rant.  Wake up, dude, this is America.  This is a market-driven
>communications business with FCC oversight.

Fine. Though, to me, the market that drives it is listeners, not
Gargantua International. I'm paid to know how listeners will react to
things. How will you react, Dude, when AM dies and you've run out of
RMA numbers? BMW will find out soon.

>Regarding your comments having the impact you want--not the slightest,
>remotest chance in the farthest quarters of hell.  Who, with real "impact",
>hasn't already made their decision?  The top 20 out of 20 major broadcast
>groups have endorsed IBOC and are rolling it out.  That's 100%, for those
>keeping score.  You're not influencing key broadcast leaders to tell
>iBiquity to change their technology.

You honestly believe every broadcaster has signed on to this? If
that's the truth, there's no risk to my rants. I believe I know far
more broadcasters.owners than you do. I know many who haven't caved.
OK. So iBorg has snookered most of the majors. Bring it on and lets
see how they react when listeners bombard them with complaints. Let's
see what irritating artifacts do to female listeners. Watch TSL.

>So...retailers who read your posts stay with satellite radio...car OEMs who
>read your posts stay with satellite radio...consumers, the same...and the
>broadcast industry loses a few more ears thanks to your efforts...OK, got
>it: You're hurting radio.

Hogwash. I've been on this list for years and have never seen even a
"sales associate" here. I'm one individual against iBorg and Kenwood.
How could li'l ol me scare a retailer when you have "CD Quality"
digital (always much better) on your side? I've visited many dealers
and not a single one has any plans to order. I've simply inquired.
Expressed no opinion.

>Yes, you are hurting your industry.  Radio is committed to a path that you
>don't like, and you're hurting it as a result.  More ears to satellite.  You
>don't like IBOC, radio has gone to IBOC, so you're doing your darndest to
>damage the industry and keep important segments focused on satellite.

Hogwash. Some people in radio are committed to this. I get a lot of
off list email that disputes your contention. I'm flattered that you
grant me such enormous power. I promise my constituents I'll only use
it for good.

>I doubt you'll give it up.  I may only be fanning your fire.  'Dems da
>breaks; I had to get this off my chest.  (Did I mention that you're hurting
>radio?  That was, every time you post your hatred for IBOC, car OEMs flinch?
>Yes, you...you're doing this...you...hurting radio...)

Me? Li'l ol me. Who woulda thunk it? Did I mention I'm from a car
dealer family? I'll tell you what'll make an OEM flinch. It's what
BMW is experiencing. Big, expensive cars being brought in for
warranty repair because the radio doesn't work right. That's a
dealer's nightmare. I've run a few radio networks and programmed many
stations. Even worked in TV. During all that I never had that kind of power.

If I'm causing such trouble I would expect some guy in a blue suit
and a leather briefcase chained to his wrist would have tried to pay
me off. There's a little park near the house where he could leave the
money. At least some ambulance chaser would have written a cease and
desist letter to try and scare me off. Tough to enforce when I'm
simply expressing an opinion.

I'll return your package unopened.

Rich