[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Sat Oct 15 15:16:46 CDT 2005

Bob Orban said:

>Rich -- Yes, you do. And you repeat, and you repeat, and you repeat, and
>you repeat.>
>I read this list mostly because I am trying to learn stuff I wouldn't hear
>about otherwise.
>You've made your point, about HD Radio And you've made it. And you've made
>it. And you've made it.

Bob,

The problem is, IBUZ just sucks.  It isn't "HD."  It's more like Steve
Martin's dog in that old movie "The Jerk."   (I just heard the adjacent
channel noise on AM IBUZ yesterday when in Denver - God, there goes the
entire band!  Try to get "scan" or "seek" to work witout being BLASTED with
noise!!   FM IBUZ sounds like FM always has, only with BER dropout, a far
more irritating feature than multipath noise is.  The AM band is ruined by
it.  Progress? Please.

WHY is it that it's this late in the monopoly game before some of this
industry's reputable players have realized how substandard IBUZ really is,
as presently implemented? Is it because innovators like yourself have
accepted a future that is less than today's reality, in a quest to sell
add-on algorithyms that might silk-purse this sow's ear?  Is the need to
sell more processors and widgets so great that you'll compromise real
quality for net-present-value-zero quarterly accounting - even if the
"improvement" sinks the "ship" that has been our industry as consumers
reject still substantial bit error drop out, limited bandwidth and
telco-grade audio on secondary channels in favor of XM, Sirius and superior
implementations of digital radio?

IBUZ, as Rich has aptly named it, was a political development, never a
"superior technology," and is not a demonstrable improvement in quality or
service over present or past analog; not based on what I've listened to
anyway.... not with its "CD Quality" (LOL!!) audio streams running at
less-than ISDN rates at best and with the continuing problems encountered
with moving platform decoding ... it offers nothing new to the consumer
except large additional costs and little to anyone else - except the
licensers and manufacturers of IBUZ components.  Frankly, I'm a bit
surprised that you, of all people in this business, a guy who made FM and AM
sound as good as uncompressed digital years ago, has "adopted" such a
science experiment so readily.  If your processors sounded as marginal  over
the years as IBUZ does today you'd not be as well known or wealthy ... so
why hang your hat now on this almost dreadful turn of events called IBUZ?

IMHO, maybe if Rich repeats himself enough, people will wake up and see that
we're being "had" by a bunch of Reno gamblers and insiders - political folks
interested in the monopoly money they might make instead of a viable
industry that serves the public and it's own shareholders with quality
broadcast services, not this "widget du jour" called IBUZ.