[BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking

JD Davis Blackberry jdavis
Sat Oct 15 12:29:28 CDT 2005

It's not about sound fellas. It's about convenience. Most folks think music on TV sounds good.

Lotus Broadcasting
IT Manager
James "JD" Davis
MCSA / A+ / Net+
--Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry--

-----Original Message-----
From: SteveOrdinetz <hykker at grolen.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:36:55
To:<broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking

  DANA PUOPOLO wrote:
>Okay, let me get this straight..
>
>IBOC-FM has 96K of data available. Period.
>
>Have any of you listened to a 128K MP3? it's BARELY decent quality compared to
>CD's. Or how about a 64K Windows Media Stream? Barely FM analog quality if you
>ask me - and I used to run a bunch of 64K WM streams when I was engineer for
>www.worldclassrock.com.
>
>NOW..we're going to take that 96K data stream (which with ONE stereo channel
>has somewhere between FM and bad CD quality) and run TWO OR MORE stereo audio
>streams with it? That doesn't make sense...
>
>Why? because it you run only TWO (stereo) streams, the bit rates will be
>96/2 = 48 Kbits. That's WORSE QUALITY then analog FM!!
>
>What's the purpose of IBAC if the quality you end up with is LESS then the
>analog FM quality you started with?

Because it's D-I-G-I-T-A-L!!!!  That obviously makes it superior, or at
least that seems to be the sole selling point for it..."everything" else is
digital these days so we're being left behind using old-fashioned
analog.  How uncool.

Besides...today's generation doesn't seem to consider audio quality all
that important.  Name one person under 25 whose music collection doesn't
consist almost entirely of mp3s.  It's digital, it's gotta be good.

I'm starting to sound like Rich Wood.