[BC] WE Field Engineering

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sat Oct 15 11:15:10 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/15/2005 9:12:01 A.M. Central Standard Time,
RLO2L at aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 10/15/2005 12:07:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dpuopolo at usa.net writes:

because  the DC was sent at a decent  current too as it also has to power  the
filaments in all those  tubes

Don't remember how the under-sea stuff amps  worked but the L carrier amps
used AC and each amplifier had a  transformer power supply that dropped the
high
voltage down to the  filament and plate voltages (after  rectification)!

Gentlemn:

I am always amazed at the ability of the mind to solve problems.  We  all
take it as commonplace that putting a small amplifier in an undersea cable  ever
so many miles across the Atlantic or Pacific is nothing.  That is only
because it has been done for so long.  But the creative minds of the  designers to
do this reliably and considering that service was next to  impossible, and a
failure could scrap the entire cable's cost.  I know the  AT&T International
cable ship had ways to recover cables and service them  which would probably be
some interesting information to read about. That  ship was retrofitted several
times and may still be in use,  today laying  and retrieving fiber cables.

Can you imagine tube amplifiers laying on the floor of the Atlantic ocean
amplifying telephone carriers.

Dave Hultsman