[BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Sat Oct 15 10:52:58 CDT 2005

XM and Sisius are both using bitrates far lower than 96 KBPS, thus
causing the artifacts to become very noticable.

At the full 96 kbps, the artifacts require some concentration to hear.

The AM HD system artifacts (32kbps), on the other hand, *does* sound
very irritating to me at times.   I find that I am of the group that is
VERY sensitive to low bitrate SBR artifacts, and when in a room of, say,
10 people, I am usually one of three or so who hear it. Everyone else is
blissfully unaware of the "digital aliasing-like" artifacts that drives
me and the other few insane.

AACPlus and MP3Pro (both use the SBR coding) both exhibit similar
results for me at bitrates lower than 48kbps.

 From what I hear the satellite folks are hovering between 64 and 32
kBPS per channel....typically closer to 32kbps...

-Cornelius

- Cornelius Gould